Sunday, May 1, 2011

THREE HUNDRED FORTY-EIGHT


SONG OF THE DAY #348
Sunday, May 1, 2011
I'll Be Around
by The Spinners


Woke up early to be at Fairchild-- I volunteered at the botanical capital of Miami for extra credit in Ecology, but walked away with far more than just that. Parked at the North entrance and walked south where Stephanie Bott, the Volunteer coordinator, introduced me to the gardens and the team I'd be working with: Leila, a Hawaiian expert on tropical plants, and Ted, another apt volunteer. Picked it up quick, introduced myself to the cool kids, and sold fruits all day. When the next shift came around, Ted and I did some training, and a little after, I ate lunch at the gastroPOD. Walked a little and sat in on a presentation. The morning was great, and I left saying I wanted to go back. Walked back to the car, and drove to Mileini's. She made a comment about Bon Iver, and I feared she'd listen to the album out of order. Dropped off For Emma, Forever Ago and went home. Took a shower an changed, getting ready for the Albita concert. Picked up Ana and headed to the Miami-Dade County Auditorium, where I found a much-needed release of stress. Talked and laughed, and caught up. Introduced her to a few musical geniuses, and geeked out with Albita and Ana Polo. Met up with my family, aimlessly wandered outside and back in, and finally drove Ana home at the end of the night, where lechoncito con arroz y tomate was waiting for us. Olvidate, que la jama que mete esa gente es diferente. Showed Anita some short films and learned to dance "El Reggaeton Cubano" c/o some friends in Cuba before going home for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment